Demand / Delinquent Notices
Tax Collector's Demand
A Tax Collector's Demand is a delinquent notice informing you that as of a given date, our records indicate you owe past due taxes. Interest charges on the statement are calculated through the date shown on the statement. The notice you receive reflects payments posted through a certain date only.
Demand notices are sent in September and in February.
Demand notices sent in February 2018 show charges, including interest, due through March 15, 2018 only. These mailed statements reflect payments and adjustments made through February 16, 2018 only (the day they were produced).
Lien continuing certificates ('tax liens') will be filed on the Norwalk Land Records if payment of past due real estate taxes and / or sewer use charges is not made by March 15, 2018.
Please note: The term "demand" is prescribed by state statute, and is not meant to imply rudeness toward you as a taxpayer.
When taxes are not paid in full by the last day to pay, by state law, it becomes the duty of the collector to proceed with collection enforcement measures, as prescribed by state statute.
The tax collectors' office reserves the right to enforce collection of taxes by use of any of the following methods, which include but are not limited to:
- Denial of building permits
- Denial or revocation of any license or permit required in the operation of a business, including a health permit
- Denial or suspension of motor vehicle registration renewals
- Enforcement of any lien upon real estate by levy and sale (sale of land for taxes), or levy upon and sale of your interest in any real estate as exists at the date of the levy
- Foreclosure or initiation of suit to collect
- Garnishment of wages, if judgment therefore had been entered
- Immobilization of or use of a boot on your vehicle
- Issuance of an alias tax warrant for collection by marshal or constable
- Levy against and seizure of any funds on deposit in any bank in this state in accordance with Section 52-367A
- Levy on any of your taxable goods or chattels, property, and/or assets, and disposal and sale of them in the manner provided in the case of executions
- Report of past due taxes to a credit bureau
- Tax lien assignment
- Other methods as prescribed by state statute
- Click here to view the Foreclosure Mediation Resources Form